First Swap (from a while ago)

This is my first response to our groups chosen image, "Eve Tempted" by John Spencer-Stanhope. I struggled at first (as usual I suppose), as to what media I ought to use and played around in my sketchbook with several ideas. As my favourite sketchbook pieces where cut-out pieces I decided to give it a go.


This is one of my first experiments with scalpel play. I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is to work with just a knife, seeing things take shape as you cut away.



With all my sketchbook development work for this first piece I tried to avoid simply reproducing Spencer-Stanhope's 'Eve', attempting to play with the elements within his painting instead. Shaping them to represent the story of Eve's temptation without actually over-playing her temptation. 

I love that Spencer-Stanhope's painting captures the exact moment that Eve is tempted and the fact that the situation is bordering upon erotic; the snake (supposedly Satan in disguise) being portrayed as a man, appearing to whisper in Eve's ear. However, here I didn't want to show either character as either good, evil or tempted.


The image of the snake and the apple are possibly two of the better known images from the Bible and very much entwined within Genesis; while they are two very 'obvious' symbols to work with, the idea of setting Eve's temptation amidst them was interesting, as it meant I could also play on the idea of the apple being tainted, with the snaking border. Plus, I have a bit of a thing with framing an image, I suppose, and this gave me the opportunity to experiment.












Mushy Brain

Very little seems to be making sense at the moment and my brain feels cloudy. Thus there has been a little panic as to whether we're carrying out our group work correctly, it seems we may just attempt to continue as we are, as well as doing what I believe we're meant to be doing on top of that.....it'll be fine...watch this space.

So, as I'm somewhat lacking in posts I think I'll back track a little to the beginning of summer.


I went back to Hulme Hall, my high-school, to do some set painting for their summer production of Fantastic Mr. Fox, by Roald Dahl. Originally I was just meant to be designing the set, but then I got roped into painting it too. All five boards. In three days. Entirely on my own. I only had three days because the play was to be performed in the next week and it was only three days before I went on holiday. This was completely new and extremely scary.


I don't have the original designs, as the head of the drama department wanted to keep them, but I did take some photos as I was going along. I was given near total free reign, so it's definitely 'me' and it was good enough for them but I can't say I'm all that happy with how it turned out. I was just relieved to have gotten it finished in time.



Largest blank space I've ever had to fill.






I don't have any images of the set when it's completely finished, or from the night of the play but I've been promised some after the summer holidays. It's nothing special, but I'm quite proud of working solidly for three days, 8:00-17:00.

Not too shabby.








I'm afraid this blog has not been the most important thing on my mind lately. I shall try to rectify this after the funeral.


X



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...