Dave Mckean

A while ago I bought Neil Gaiman's 'The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish', illustrated by Dave Mckean. The nature of Mckean's work is very layered; he seems to manipulate photographs, patching them together and layering them over one another, and then layering his own specific drawings on top of the backgrounds. This makes his work seem almost surreal  but very textured. 


I recently recommended him to Holly, as elements of his work reminded me of a lot of things she's produced in the past, though I'd still like to mention him as he's pretty damn cool. Plus, he collaborates a great deal with Neil Gaiman so he's obviously doing something right. 



The above is from Crazy Hair, written by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Dave Mckean, which I've yet to get a proper look at. How amazing is the hair!? I love that mix of photography and Mckean's collagey drawings. It's not necessarily something I'd incorporate in my own work I don't think, though I really admire the style itself.

These are two images from The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish. 



The mix of photography, layered paper and drawings creates such a brilliant atmosphere, it has something of a comic style to it too in the way Mckean frames his images and the elements he focuses upon.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...