Craig Oldham Poster


At the beginning of November Craig Oldham of Music came to give us a talk  entitled 'But Isn't That Your Job?' about the relation between Designers and Illustrators from the point of view of a designer; the experiences he's had working with illustrators and what he and others have learnt from these experiences. Sadly I'd already planned to go to the Illustration and Writing Symposium at MMU with a few other people from the year and so missed his lecture.

However, we'd been set to produce this poster, advertising his lecture, over reading week, and I had a very enjoyable evening working on this. Tutors have repeatedly told me over the last two-and-a-bit years that I should allow my own interests and influences to show through my work, and in second year I was criticised for not taking this on board. This poster is a good example of why I sometimes try to keep my personal interests and briefs apart: I'm a huge fan of ancient Roman mythology and their pre-Christian religious system, and considering this brief dealt with two different perspectives: an illustrators and a designers, I decided to work with imagery of Janus.

Janus is the Roman deity, assigned to the idea of beginnings and transitions, and therefore (more literally) doors and gateways, and is able to look both into the future, and the past. He is presented as being two-faced, facing in opposite directions, and I felt that he suitably represented the idea of designer vs illustrator: working together, yet with different paths, but essentially the same aim. I think anyone would agree this is pretty obscure, but I really enjoyed working on it. I kept it simple with plenty of white space, drawing the profiles in a way which might suggest at their being statues: figures which are looked at and appreciated, yet not always understood, much like the idea of designers and illustrators: they're there, but a lot of people wouldn't be able to define exactly what it is they 'do'.

The arrows leading to the door were to suggest two different perspectives, both leading to the same outcome (the door), though in different ways: the illustrators arrows being more illustrative and the designers being more graphic, though Gary and Ian both pointed out they could have done with being done on illustrator in order to make them more graphic, which I agree with; however, I'm an illustrator (supposedly) and I guess that's my personal attempt at 'graphic' (that's my stubborn streak talking again, anything to validate why I avoiding using a computer)!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...