Cherry and Marzipan Loaf


I'm head over heels with these sunflowers, taking them with me from room to room, photos of them don't do them justice! Yesterday I finally got round to using up some cherries that were cluttering up the fridge; I'd planned to make a cherry and apple crumble which went down brilliantly a few weeks ago, but I wasn't in the mood to get sticky making the crumb part of the crumble. I trawled around to find a recipe that suited what I had in the cupboards, which included a slab of marzipan which I tend to have a slice of every now and again when there's nothing naughty around, and I found the perfect recipe on Fab Food 4 All. I love that they've called it Cherzipan, although it's definitely loafish, rather than cakey. 

I chopped my cherries up a little more haphazardly and I added 25g of caster sugar in addition to the soft brown sugar listed in the recipe. Rather than slicing and layering my marzipan I rolled several small balls and plonked them in randomly so that they'd melt into the loaf and add a bit of a surprise. It turned out well and the marzipan balls didn't make the surrounding loaf too gooey, but just right. There's something so satisfying about making cakey loaves. My banana and cinnamon loaf is a little bit amazing, but after watching a video where a spider digs its way out of a banana, I'm a bit reluctant to buy them. Thanks Internet. Maybe one day the horror will subside and I'll get round to posting the recipe.

Cherzipan Cake

  • 150g / 6oz Plain flour
  • 150g / 6oz Butter (softened) or buttery margarine
  • 75g / 3oz Soft brown sugar
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 2 tsp Baking powder
  • ½ tsp Almond extract (optional)
  • 75g White marzipan
  • 220g Cherries
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • Sprinkling of Demerara sugar 

  1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
  2. Butter and flour a 2lb loaf tin.
  3. Beat the softened butter or buttery margarine well with the sugar with an electric whisk or cake mixer until creamy.
  4. Beat in the lemon zest and eggs, one at a time. (Don’t worry if the mix splits).
  5. Sift the flour and baking powder together and gradually fold into the mixture.
  6. Put half the mixture into the loaf tin and place half the cherries into the batter then cover with the slices ( or balls!) of marzipan.
  7. Put the rest of the batter into the tin then distribute the rest of the cherries on top and push them in.
  8. Using a spatula cover the cherries with the batter firming the mixture to the edge.
  9. Sprinkle Demerara sugar on top.
  10. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 50 minutes or until the centre springs back to the touch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...