Saltburn-by-the-sea: Coastguard Cottages





In the second week of August Dan and I made ourselves comfortable in the back of my mum and dad's car and settled down for the journey to Saltburn-by-the-sea. The week we spent in Saltburn, living in Old Saltburn atop a hill in a cottage on a strip of homes making up the Coastguard Cottages, was one of the best holidays I've ever been on. I'm used to holidays abroad and the feeling of having to pack everything in because you may never be there again. Instead, our stay here made me feel more relaxed than I've felt in a long time. Away went that knot in my chest, the anxiety that I've been kneading about the many things that seem to be littering my to-do list. Away went the feeling of obligation to see everything and capture it to prove how adventurous I'd been. Instead, I reevaluated. Slowed down. And felt freed by the wide open skies, fields and sea that lay at our doorstep.

Ten days since we got back and I'm still clinging to that particular peace that I enjoyed while we were there, but it's slipping away as I chip away at my pile of essays and the inevitable return to school gets closer. I don't want to lump everything from the holiday into one post so I'm going to split it up and savour it. Holidays are always full of promise and plans, and this holiday was the same, but I'm so determined to achieve them. The problem with living in a city is that you lose those wide open spaces filled with possibility, and living surrounded  can be so claustrophobic, making wide plans seem smaller and further away.

I'm working on it though.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...